Patient instructions for gastroscopy
How to get ready for gastroscopy
- Do not eat anything for 6 hours before the procedure and stop drinking liquids 2 hours before.
- If you are using Ozempic or Rybelsus medicine, stop eating 10 hours before gastroscopy
- Avoid eating any raw vegetables the night before and the morning of the procedure.
- In case your gastroscopy appointment takes place in the afternoon or evening you may eat lunch 6 hours before the examination. Please consume a light easy to digest meal, for example soup.
- If your appointment takes place before noon you should not eat after midnight.
- Any essential prescription medication such as blood pressure and heart medication should be taken with a small sip of water at the latest 2 hours before the scheduled appointment. Check with your doctor whether or not you should take your diabetes or blood thinning medication before the examination.
- If necessary, sedative medication can be given IV during the gastroscopy. After sedative medications you are not allowed to drive. You should not leave the hospital unaccompanied. Then you will need an adult to pick you up from hospital.
During the endoscopy
Your stomach will be examined with a thin flexible scope. The scope will be brought into your stomach through the esophagus and it will pass on into small intestine. Samples might be taken during the procedure. This should not cause any additional pain.
After the endoscopy
- After about 30 minutes you are allowed to eat and drink normally.
- Any possible results from the lab testing will be ready in about 2 weeks.
Aava Kamppi tel. 010 380 5312 Mon-Fri 9-15
Aava Järvenpää tel. 010 380 3838
Aava Turku Hansa tel. 010 380 3850 Mon-Thu 8-20, Fri 8-16
Aava Customer service tel. 010 380 3838